Saturday, September 18, 2010

Welcome to the Living Room

I was inspired to start this blog to address the needs of Youth as it relates to their relationships with God.  Our churches are filled with young people who have no clue who God is or what it means to be a follower of Christ.  When I was  young my parents took me to Church, Sunday School and Bible Study and it just became part of my normal routine.  But one day there came a time when I had to decide for myself if I was going to live the life that I had been hearing and learning about.  Did I believe what was being preached and taught every Sunday?  Did I buy this whole notion of following someone that I could not see with blind faith, doing what He told me to do just because the preacher and youth ministry workers told me that I should?  Even though I knew in my heart that God loved me, I just didn't understand what living for Christ really meant. So I did what most people do when they aren't sure.  I took a closer look by actually reading the Bible and investigating this whole Christian life for myself.  I was going to decide for myself if I actually believed what it said. The Bible is HUGE and I didn't know where to start, so I asked my Pastor at the time and he advised me to start with the Gospels.  "Start with the story of Jesus", he said. "Get to know Him, study his character.  Study how He interacts with people, how He thinks and how He conducts Himself and then pattern your life after His".  I took his advice to heart and did just that.  Once I got to know Jesus by studying Him, I fell in love and was utterly and completely impressed by Him.  My prayer for you, young people, is that you become impressed by Jesus.  When you start studying and learning about Him you will fall in love with Him too and then your real journey with God will begin.  Not because your parents told you to believe but because you actually DO believe.


Youth Ministry workers it is time to step up your game and teach young people the word of God. You cannot teach what you do not know.  This is why we have so many youth ministry programs in churches across the country that are ineffective and produce generation after generation of young people who do not have a true personal relationship with God.  Gone are the days of ordering pizza or serving cookies and punch and shoving kids into a room to color.  Young people today are having all kinds of sex starting at 12years old.  They watch their friends die at the hands of other young people in gang violence. They witness domestic violence in their homes and are oftentimes in violent relationships themselves.  Our young women are dressing provocatively because they feel that they will attract young men and our young men value money and possessions over the content of their character.  We MUST teach them sound Biblical principles and teach them how to relate those principles to their everyday lives.

Young people, let's develop a relationship with God and seek His will for us through prayer. And let's live the way He created us to live.  You will only find out how He wants us to live by studying His word.  I encourage you to visit this blog when you can and let's Get the Word in together!

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment