Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rev. Bsette's E-Devotion

Then he said to me, "Son of man, look toward the north." So I looked, and in the entrance north of the gate of the altar I saw this idol of jealousy.
And he said to me, "Son of man, do you see what they are doing — the utterly detestable things the house of Israel is doing here, things that will drive me far from my sanctuary? But you will see things that are even more detestable."  
Ezekiel 8:5-6 NIV

Those on my facebook page may know that I am currently reading and studying the book of Ezekiel.  Today, as I was listening to this book on my bible cd in the car, this verse screamed at me to meditate on this week, so I thought I'd share with this devotion.  Unfortunately, I don't have much insight (so don't know how much of a devotion this will be for you) but only thoughts and reflection.

Basically, this text is expressing a type of apostate worship.  This means that the people of God have turned away from God and rebelled against God.  Maybe not so much in their profession, but in their actions. Actions really say everything.  Israel's actions indicated they were guilty of idolatry.  Putting something or someone before God.  Even though people show up to worship, God see's their hearts.  As a result, in this text, the actions drove God away from His sanctuary.  I offer no suggestions on this today, but only questions where we can reflect.  Do we feel as if the acts of God's people have driven the fullness of God's presence from the church?  Have the people of God, replaced worship for some form of idolatry?  As we look at our local churches as well as our denominational churches, do we see the truth of this scripture in our culture?  Do we see the truth of this scripture in our own personal lives?

God brought this to Ezekiel in a vision and showed him the sort of idolatry that was within the house of Israel that He detested.  The specifics of what He saw or detested is not in the text.  In our places of worship, does God see anything He detests?  As our bodies are temples where the Holy Spirit dwells (thus the sanctuary of God as well), is there anything in us that God detests?  This is a wake up call for us as we examine our lives to see if there are any things or anyone that causes us to be guilty of idolatry.  We ought to want God's presence in our churches and in our lives.  As I heard and read this text, I had to reflect because I know that something is missing in today's church.  Church doesn't seem to have the same impact on people.  Don’t' get me wrong, I know people are still being saved, called, delivered, set free, etc., but even with all that, something is missing. The text ends by saying that there will be more detestable things that will be seen.  Perhaps we are living in that day……

Today, we ought to commit ourselves to letting it start with us.  Perhaps God has saved us for this purpose, to be used in restoring His church.  Lord, I'm available!  We're available!  Use us for your glory!

(I know this is not my usual writing style, so it may not make any sense or help at all.  I'm just jotting down some thoughts I had reflected upon and wanted to share.  Maybe we can turn this into a group discussion and take this further)

God our Father, we bless your name!  We ask for you to forgive us and to forgive your people for turning away from you.  We make ourselves available today for you to use us to do with us as you desire to restore your church!  Bless us with endurance, long-suffering, patience and love.  Use us to turn this around for your glory!  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment