Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pastor Bsett's E-Devotion

You are my friends if you do what I command.  (John 15:14 NIV)

I remember when I was younger I thought I had a lot of friends.  Whenever I would refer to someone I knew from school or from around the way to my mom and dad as my "friend", my mom would always say "Is that really your friend?  What do you have in common with that person?  Just because you know someone doesn't make them your friend (she still does this too)!"  She was right too - a true friend is one who has common and shared interests which draws you to each other.  Anyone who does not have common interests with you is just someone you know (acquaintance).  Many times we hold to the fact that Jesus calls us His friend.  The song by Israel Houghton "I am a friend of God" comes to my mind when we think of this fact.  But look at the truth of what is required to be a friend of Christ.  Jesus said, you are my friend "if" you do what I command.  The word "if" is a conditional word which means basically that there is something required of you to maintain the friendship status with God through Jesus Christ.  You must do what He commands!  The text continues in verses 15-16 to say that Jesus revealed and everything that He learned from the Father and taught them to us.  This is taught to us by Jesus so we can now go and bear fruit (this is the command) - fruit that will last.  Interesting that Jesus is suggesting that we make lasting impact in peoples lives to the point that they will come to know Christ or for those we know who are already in Christ, we would want to help in strengthening that relationship.  Not just quote a scripture and push on, but attach ourselves to their lives so that there will be an permanent impact. This is fruit that lasts.  No, we can't impact everyone's lives, but what about the lives we can impact?  What are we doing about that?  Perhaps, we could listen to another command of Jesus (v. 17).  Love each other.

Obedience is the condition of friendship with Christ.  So I guess we should ask the question, are we friends or acquaintances?

Father in Heaven, we thank you for this day and another opportunity to praise you and serve you!  There is no one like you!  As we reflect on our relationship with you, help us with your Holy Spirit to be obedient to what you have commanded us to do.  Show us what we can do today to either introduce others to you or to encourage and strengthen someone's relationship with you.  This is our prayer, in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment